Canada - Government Information/working holiday visa

Hello, Steven T.

I am in Canada on a visitor's visa and I did apply for a working holiday visa while still in Canada, which is possible according to this website (please see bottom of page)

Once my application for the working holiday visa is approved, does my visitor's visa change automatically to working holiday?

Hello Jose

If your application is approved, you will be issued a visa which will authorize you to appear at a Canadian port-of-entry and apply for a work permit. The visa does not authorize you to work in Canada and your visitor status does not automatically change to a work permit. If you are issued a work permit at the port-of-entry, you will then be authorized to work in Canada in accordance with the terms and conditions set out on the work permit.

Steven Tress, Barrister and Solicitor, 425 University Avenue, Suite 500, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1T6, Canada, tel: 416-977-3657, email:  

Canada - Government Information

Steven Tress

Canadian Lawyer since 1988 in the areas of Criminal Law and Immigration Law. Email: Steven Tress, 425 University Avenue, Suite 601, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1T6.

I graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1986 and was called to the bar in Ontario in 1988. With over 25 years experience, I represent clients charged with all types of criminal offences and conduct trials in all levels of courts, as well as conviction and/or sentence appeals. I also represent clients at bail hearings, bail reviews and bail pending appeal. I represent clients in all types of immigration matters, both inside and outside Canada, as well as appeals from various types of decisions of Citizenship and Immigration Canada or the Canada Border Services Agency to the Federal Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. I am a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada and a member of the Toronto Lawyers Association. I have been active with various sections and committees of the Canadian Bar Association (Ontario), including: Criminal Justice Section Executive, Immigration Law Section, Joint Committee on Court Reform, Advisory Committee to the Attorney General of Ontario, Annual Institute Committee and the Continuing Legal Education Committee. I have lectured for various Criminal Law and Immigration Law programs, as well as served as an instructor at Herzing College’s Paralegal Program and the Law Society of Upper Canada’s Bar Admission Course in Toronto.

Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto Lawyers Association.

Presentations and Publications “Immigration Considerations For Family Law Practitioners”: Presentation given to a seminar for The Commons Institute, Toronto, April 13, 2012 “Ethical Considerations in Immigration Practice”: Presentation given to a seminar for The Commons Institute, Toronto, March 8, 2012 Ethical Red Flags in Immigration and Refugee Law: Panelist, Seminar Presented by the Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, March 7, 2012 “Ethical Dilemmas in Criminal Law and Immigration Law”: Presentation given to a seminar for Professional Development for Practitioners, Toronto, November 26, 2011 “Judicial Review”: Presentation given to a seminar on Applications to the Federal Court, sponsored by the Refugee Lawyers Association, Toronto, February 1995 “Deportation Law – An Overview”: Co-chair and lecturer, a seminar on Deportation Law, presented by the Canadian Bar Association (Ontario), Toronto, October 31, 1992 Contributor to the “Law of Refugee Status”, James C. Hathaway, Butterworths 1991 Contributor to “A Reconsideration of the Underlying Premise of Refugee Law”, James C. Hathaway, Harvard International Law Journal, 31 Harv. Int’l. L. J. 129 (1990) The Advantage of Retaining a Criminal Lawyer, Ezine Articles, September 13, 2011 Key Factors That Make a Successful Criminal Defence Lawyer, Ezine Articles, October 11, 2011 Starting Out As a Criminal Defence Lawyer: Some Advice, Ezine Articles, October 28, 2011 The Advantage of Retaining an Immigration Lawyer, Ezine Articles, September 13, 2011

Graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1986.