Canada - Government Information/canadian citizenship

Question
hello i was wondering if you could answer a question for me  my mother was born in Canada then abandon in 1955 she was adopted by a relative in the us dose this mean i would have a claim to citizenship she died in 1997 by the way i would appreciate any info you can give thank you.

Answer
Hello Gordon;

Thank you for your question.

Canadian citizenship law has changed several times, leading to a change in the eligibility requirements for different groups. To answer your question, the rights of a child born outside of Canada to a Citizen have to be researched for the law existing then, and now. The fact that the Canadian citizen parent is not alive, may pose additional challenges.

You should approach the Consular Section of Canadian embassy for further advice related to your situation. The advantage is that they are the decision makers and may help you for free.

Should that not work, you may contact us on email@transcendconsultants.com for the same.

Hope this is useful.

Thank you and Kind Regards

Canada - Government Information

Deepak Kohli