Canada - Government Information/Giving birth, PR n Canada

Question
Hello Mr. Kohli
I'm Italian citizen and in relation ship (more than 4 years of living together ) with a Canadian citizen living abroad . I'm in a fifth month of pregnancy (the birthing date would be around Mai 23th ) and we would like baby to be born in Canada ( we are not married , cause I'm still not divorced from my ex ) . We are planing the trip in March and we would like to know what would be the process and possibility to have a permanent stay for me in Canada . If it's possible to wait in Canada for my divorce and than to get married ?
Would it be better to go in Canadian Embassy and say what we would like to do ? Or would be better to do everything once being in Canada ( before or after the birth ) ?

Thank You very much for reading my letter.
Waiting impatiently for Your answer ...

Giuliana

Answer
Hello Giuliana;

Thank you for your question.

Canada does have a stream for permanent residence called Family Class, that includes sponsorship of spouses & Common-law partners by Canadians. You don't have to be married to your partner.

Since you have been living for more than 1 year with your Canadian Citizen partner, you may be considered as 'Common-law' couple, allowing your partner to sponsor you for permanent residence in Canada. Please note that you will have to support this Application with extensive documentation to convince the visa office. Your situation is little tricky, because of your legal marital situation during the period of your Common-law relationship.

He can file the sponsorship from outside Canada or from within Canada.

Hope this is useful.

Canada - Government Information

Deepak Kohli