You are here:

Canada - Government Information/Giving birth, PR n Canada


Hello Mr. Kohli
I'm Italian citizen and in relation ship (more than 4 years of living together ) with a Canadian citizen living abroad . I'm in a fifth month of pregnancy (the birthing date would be around Mai 23th ) and we would like baby to be born in Canada ( we are not married , cause I'm still not divorced from my ex ) . We are planing the trip in March and we would like to know what would be the process and possibility to have a permanent stay for me in Canada . If it's possible to wait in Canada for my divorce and than to get married ?
Would it be better to go in Canadian Embassy and say what we would like to do ? Or would be better to do everything once being in Canada ( before or after the birth ) ?

Thank You very much for reading my letter.
Waiting impatiently for Your answer ...


Hello Giuliana;

Thank you for your question.

Canada does have a stream for permanent residence called Family Class, that includes sponsorship of spouses & Common-law partners by Canadians. You don't have to be married to your partner.

Since you have been living for more than 1 year with your Canadian Citizen partner, you may be considered as 'Common-law' couple, allowing your partner to sponsor you for permanent residence in Canada. Please note that you will have to support this Application with extensive documentation to convince the visa office. Your situation is little tricky, because of your legal marital situation during the period of your Common-law relationship.

He can file the sponsorship from outside Canada or from within Canada.

Hope this is useful.

Canada - Government Information

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Deepak Kohli


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), practicing in Ontario for last 9 years. As a member in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) since its inception, I am committed to uphold the principles of integrity, knowledge and consumer protection. Our advice is based on sound legal provisions and practices, so that the client receives the best value for money. Our advice and assistance covers issues such as (a) permanent residence in Canada, (b) temporary residence (c) maintaining residency (d) reuniting family (e) Canadian citizenship (f) Immigration appeals, and more. We assist people from across the world in all Canadian Immigration matters (economic programs), including Federal Skilled Worker Program, Business Immigration, Work permits, Study permits, Family Class sponsorships, Appeals to the Immigration Appeals Division of IRB, etc. The intention of participating in this forum is to share my knowledge and views on Canadian immigration matters for general scenarios. The answers however, should not be considered as a legal advice, as that involves detailed information of various aspects of the immigrants' profile. People should contact me directly, should they wish to use to obtain a specific legal advice.


Since 2002, I have been working in the field of Canadian Immigration consulting. Prior to going into own practice in late 2003, I worked for an Immigration Consulting organisation in Toronto. My practice covers various areas of economic and family class immigration into Canada. Like I say to my prospective clients, just as there are thousands of ways to find god, there are a no. (over 50) ways to gain immigration to Canada. The trick is to find out the most suitable one for each client. Nevertheless, there are some programs that are more popular. We advise clients on these as well as find innovative immigration solutions for others. I have been an active volunteer with the Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC), since its inception in 2005. After serving the Ontario Chapter for 5 years in Communications Committee, I joined the National Board in 2010. I served as the Director - Membership on the national Board of Directors of CAPIC for a year. I recently retired from the Board of Directors of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), the regulatory body for Canadian Immigration Consultants, after serving for 1 year.

Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC)

Immigration Practitioner Program (with High Honours) - 2003 - Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA; MBA - 1992 - M.S.University of Baroda, Baroda (India

Awards and Honors
I have received various awards from the Immigration consultancy professional organizations, during my tenure.

©2017 All rights reserved.