Canada - Government Information/Right path to immigrate to Canada

Question
I am a Canadian citizen by birth and my boyfriend (we are both 41) holds a Guyanese passport but has been a permanent resident of Barbados for the past 18 years. We have been in a relationship for 6 months and are trying to find a way we can live in the same place with one of us (ideally two) can work in that country. We both are low income earners and I also receive ODSP.
He applied for a visitor visa to experience a Canadian winter but was denied. He is now applying for a US visitor visa to visit his mother and sister in NY. I will be able to cross the border and spend some time together.

My question is this, we plan to marry and have a child soon (in no particular order). What is the most economical and direct way for him to immigrate to Canada? We have been looking into the Skilled workers program as a carpenter but he falls short on the education points as he does not have a secondary school education. If we married I'm not sure we could afford the fees or savings/income threshold needed to sponsor a spouse. Would it be easier for him to become a US citizen and then we could travel back and forth over the border? Thank you!

Answer
Hello Deborah;

Thank you for your question.

The simplest way, of course is for you to sponsor him as your spouse to become a permanent resident of Canada. While they do not allow people on social assistance to sponsor, those due to disability are eligible.

There are no minimum income criteria for the spousal sponsorship program, though the officer could look at the financials to ensure that the new permanent resident is able to support himself once in Canada.

The process takes about 6-8 months to be completed.

Hope this is useful.

Should you have further questions, we encourage you to get in touch with us directly.

Canada - Government Information

Deepak Kohli