Canada - Government Information/DUI Dismissal and Business Travel to Canada

Question
Hello Tim,

I am a US citizen and am anticipating travel to Canada next month.  I was arrested for suspicion of DUI in 2007, and my case was ultimately dismissed for want of prosecution in 2010 (no conviction, no sentencing, no deferred adjudication, no reduced charges, etc.).  I have a certified copy of my disposition that I am prepared to present when questions at CBP.  What potential issues could I expect related to admissibility at the Canadian border?

Thanks!

Answer
Dear Justin,

If the DUI charges were dismissed for want of prosecution and you have proof of this, then there should be no real issues at the border.

Unfortunately, one immigration officer might interpret the facts differently from another, so it is always advisable to travel with the documentary proof of the disposition. If an officer is of the opinion that you are inadmissible, you can always request admission to Canada on a temporary resident permit if you can demonstrate that your admission would be in Canada's national interest (example, you are coming to repair a critical piece of equipment in a factory that might otherwise close down if the equipment is not repaired). In addition, a foreign national who is deemed inadmissible to Canada can in many cases apply for rehabilitation if the sentence was completed 5 or more years from the intended date of admission.

Finally, an immigration officer's decision can always be challenged in court if there is an error in fact or law.

So you would appear to have lots of options should an immigration officer dispute your admissibility.

I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes,

Tim Morson
Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC)
(ICCRC No 416007, Quebec No 11121)
canada@morson.ca
514-845-5454  

Canada - Government Information

Tim Morson