Canada - Government Information/Student Visa


Dear Tim,

Good Morning!!

I have seen some of your responses on this site and I think I must congratulate you for the assistance that you provide to people across the globe.

I also have a query and its about my cousin brother who intends to do his Masters from Canada. He is around 32 yrs old and got admission in Canada University for Master Program. The only glitch is he has a gap of 4 years after his 10th (during this time he jumped into family business) post this, business was closed and than he finished his 12th, graduations, PG Diploma and started working since last 7 years in a MNC as a Sr Manager.

1) Do you think Visa officer would have a issue with his Gap after 10th class or since he has no gap since last 13 years it will be fine (in last 13 years he passed his 12th, than Graduation, PG Diploma and 7 years of work exp without any gap that too in Fortune 500 company).
2)Do you think his age that will be around 33 yrs that also could be an issue??

Kindly advise as we are really worried and he does not want to apply for any other country.

Thanking you in advance, God Bless!!!


Dear Sanjay,

Gaps in education or work experience in and of themselves are not a reason to refuse an application for a study permit. A visa officer will have to be satisfied, however, that the intended field of study in Canada flows from a coherent goal. An applicant who has bounced around at different jobs and studied in various disciplines is less likely to convince an officer that studying in Canada is a logical progression than an applicant who has always moved in a steady, progressive direction in terms of studies and work.

The age factor is not material either in most cases. But again, the officer will want to be satisfied that the investment in time and money to study in Canada will be worth it. What will the foreign student gain by studying in Canada? And is the gain worth the expense? Could the educational goals just as easily be met in India at a much lower cost? These are the kinds of questions the visa officer will be considering.

A good study plan should be presented with the application to show the intended goals and benefits of studying in Canada. For example, if you cousin's employer is ready to consider him for a promotion should he return with a Masters degree from Canada, some evidence of this must be provided with the application.

If this is of help, please let others know by answering the AllExperts feedback questionnaire.

Best wishes,

Tim Morson
Registered Canada Immigration Consultant
(ICCRC No 416007, Quebec No 11121)

Canada - Government Information

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Morson


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) and former Canadian diplomat and immigration program manager. I have 20 years of federal government experience in Asia, Europe, the United States, the Middle East, the Caribbean, Africa, and with the Department of Citizenship and Immigration, and the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade in Ottawa, Canada. I am currently the Senior Immigration Advisor for Pace Law Firm in Toronto, the Director of Immigration for the Cirque du Soleil, and the National Policy Director for the Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC). I can answer all questions related to Canada's immigration requirements and procedures: (1) permanent residence in Canada for business people (investors, entrepreneurs, self-employed, professionals, skilled workers, provincial nominees, spouses and other family members, humanitarian reasons and refugees; (2) temporary residence -- tourist visas, study permits for international students, work permits, and temporary residence permits; (3) settling in Canada, Canadian residency requirements, Canadian citizenship and Canadian passports; (4) queries concerning Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB), Immigration Québec, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT), Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC), etc. Please note that my responses are for information purposes only. To formally engage my professional services and obtain professional advice please contact me directly. Je suis couramment bilingue et en mesure de répondre à vos questions en français.


1982-2001 - Counsellor, Consul, Vice-Consul, immigration program manager, deputy director, special advisor and visa officer. I have had various assignments around the world: Asia, Europe, the United States, the Middle East, the Caribbean, Africa and Canada. Since 2001, I have done migration consulting work for individuals, corporations, institutions, and organizations such as the International Organization for Migration (IOM). I am accredited by the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). Je suis un ancien diplomate canadien et expert en matière d’immigration. Pendant vingt ans de service avec le gouvernement fédéral, j’ai occupé de nombreux postes diplomatiques et consulaires en Asie, en Europe, aux États-Unis, au Moyen-Orient, aux Antilles, en Afrique, ainsi qu’avec le Ministère de Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada (CIC), et le Ministère des Affaires étrangères et Commerce International du Canada (MAECI) à Ottawa. En tant qu’expert reconnu dans le secteur de l’immigration, j’ai effectué plusieurs travaux de conseil en migration pour l’Organisation Internationale pour les Migrations (OIM), pour des entreprises canadiennes et pour des particuliers. Je suis un consultant canadien agréé en immigration (CCAI) basé à Montréal, Canada. Je suis également membre du Conseil de la Réglementation des consultants en immigration du Canada (CRCIC, membre no R416007), directeur des politiques de l’Association Canadienne des Conseillers Professionnels en Immigration (ACCPI), et directeur d'immigration pour le Cirque du Soleil.

Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (regulatory body), Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants.

M.A. Journalism (1992) UWO London, Ontario; B.A. Political Science (1982) Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec; RCIC -- Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant.

©2017 All rights reserved.