Canada - Government Information/Student Visa

Question
Dear Tim,

Good Morning!!

I have seen some of your responses on this site and I think I must congratulate you for the assistance that you provide to people across the globe.

I also have a query and its about my cousin brother who intends to do his Masters from Canada. He is around 32 yrs old and got admission in Canada University for Master Program. The only glitch is he has a gap of 4 years after his 10th (during this time he jumped into family business) post this, business was closed and than he finished his 12th, graduations, PG Diploma and started working since last 7 years in a MNC as a Sr Manager.

1) Do you think Visa officer would have a issue with his Gap after 10th class or since he has no gap since last 13 years it will be fine (in last 13 years he passed his 12th, than Graduation, PG Diploma and 7 years of work exp without any gap that too in Fortune 500 company).
2)Do you think his age that will be around 33 yrs that also could be an issue??

Kindly advise as we are really worried and he does not want to apply for any other country.

Thanking you in advance, God Bless!!!

Sanju

Answer
Dear Sanjay,

Gaps in education or work experience in and of themselves are not a reason to refuse an application for a study permit. A visa officer will have to be satisfied, however, that the intended field of study in Canada flows from a coherent goal. An applicant who has bounced around at different jobs and studied in various disciplines is less likely to convince an officer that studying in Canada is a logical progression than an applicant who has always moved in a steady, progressive direction in terms of studies and work.

The age factor is not material either in most cases. But again, the officer will want to be satisfied that the investment in time and money to study in Canada will be worth it. What will the foreign student gain by studying in Canada? And is the gain worth the expense? Could the educational goals just as easily be met in India at a much lower cost? These are the kinds of questions the visa officer will be considering.

A good study plan should be presented with the application to show the intended goals and benefits of studying in Canada. For example, if you cousin's employer is ready to consider him for a promotion should he return with a Masters degree from Canada, some evidence of this must be provided with the application.

If this is of help, please let others know by answering the AllExperts feedback questionnaire.

Best wishes,

Tim Morson
Registered Canada Immigration Consultant
(ICCRC No 416007, Quebec No 11121)
canada@morson.ca
514-845-5454

Canada - Government Information

Tim Morson