Canada - Government Information/Citizenship for baby born outside Canada from canadian non-resident mother

Question
Dear Deepak,

I am a non-resident Canadian citizen, i received my passport from my father who was naturalized in 1975, but i was neither born in Canada nor lived there.
I'm currently 22 weeks pregnant and wonder if I can give my baby the Canadian citizenship if I deliver outside Canada.
If not, what is the procedure to deliver in Canada? ( i already have an international insurance who covers all medical expenses) and how long does it take to finalize the baby's paper and return to the country of residence?

Answer
Hello Lea;

Since you were not born in Canada, your baby born outside of Canada will not be deemed to be a Canadian citizen by birth.

As a Canadian, you can enter Canada at any time and give birth to your child, who will be a Canadian citizen. Depending upon the province, there's usually a processing time of about 5-8 weeks between the birth and obtaining the full birth certificate.

Hope this is useful.

Thank you and Kind Regards

Canada - Government Information

Deepak Kohli