Canada - Government Information/Extension of TRV


Dear Mr Morson,

My mother came to visit my family in Canada and was given a TRV for 6 months. She would like to extend the visa to stay longer with us and with her grand-children. I have reviewed the application form for extension of a TRV and I was just wondering what reasons the CIC will consider as compelling enough in order to prolong her visa? Should we apply for a 6-month extension or for one year extension; which is better?
And one more question-when my mother entered Canada her passport was stamped with the date of entry. When does she need to leave the country-6 months after the date of entry or with the expiry of the TRV.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Sincerely, Violeta

Hello Violeta,

A foreign national granted admission to Canada as a visitor must normally leave the country within six months of the date of entry. The validity date of the visa is not relevant to the duration of the stay.

Your mother can apply for an extension of six months or a year or more if desired. The decision to approve the application or not will depend on whether her reasons for her extended stay are 'compelling' as you rightly pointed out. Compelling can mean any number of things, such as caring for small children or looking after an aged relative (provided no pay is received for the care). Whether the 'compelling reasons' are compelling will depend on the immigration officer's judgement. It is always important to support the application and the compelling reasons with documentary proof (example, copies of children's birth certificates to prove you have children and letters from your employer and husband's employer to prove you are both working and that it therefore makes reasonable sense to want to have your mother look after the children for a year or two).

You may wish to consult the immigration officer's manual for more detailed information on the decision-making process and the criteria that go into the decision:


I hope this information is helpful and wish you good luck in your efforts

If you require immigration advice based on a professional assessment of your particular situation, please let me know.

Thank you for rating this answer.


Tim Morson
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC No R416007  

Canada - Government Information

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Morson


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) and former Canadian diplomat and immigration program manager. I have 20 years of federal government experience in Asia, Europe, the United States, the Middle East, the Caribbean, Africa, and with the Department of Citizenship and Immigration, and the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade in Ottawa, Canada. I am currently the Senior Immigration Advisor for Pace Law Firm in Toronto, the Director of Immigration for the Cirque du Soleil, and the National Policy Director for the Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC). I can answer all questions related to Canada's immigration requirements and procedures: (1) permanent residence in Canada for business people (investors, entrepreneurs, self-employed, professionals, skilled workers, provincial nominees, spouses and other family members, humanitarian reasons and refugees; (2) temporary residence -- tourist visas, study permits for international students, work permits, and temporary residence permits; (3) settling in Canada, Canadian residency requirements, Canadian citizenship and Canadian passports; (4) queries concerning Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB), Immigration Québec, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT), Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC), etc. Please note that my responses are for information purposes only. To formally engage my professional services and obtain professional advice please contact me directly. Je suis couramment bilingue et en mesure de répondre à vos questions en français.


1982-2001 - Counsellor, Consul, Vice-Consul, immigration program manager, deputy director, special advisor and visa officer. I have had various assignments around the world: Asia, Europe, the United States, the Middle East, the Caribbean, Africa and Canada. Since 2001, I have done migration consulting work for individuals, corporations, institutions, and organizations such as the International Organization for Migration (IOM). I am accredited by the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). Je suis un ancien diplomate canadien et expert en matière d’immigration. Pendant vingt ans de service avec le gouvernement fédéral, j’ai occupé de nombreux postes diplomatiques et consulaires en Asie, en Europe, aux États-Unis, au Moyen-Orient, aux Antilles, en Afrique, ainsi qu’avec le Ministère de Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada (CIC), et le Ministère des Affaires étrangères et Commerce International du Canada (MAECI) à Ottawa. En tant qu’expert reconnu dans le secteur de l’immigration, j’ai effectué plusieurs travaux de conseil en migration pour l’Organisation Internationale pour les Migrations (OIM), pour des entreprises canadiennes et pour des particuliers. Je suis un consultant canadien agréé en immigration (CCAI) basé à Montréal, Canada. Je suis également membre du Conseil de la Réglementation des consultants en immigration du Canada (CRCIC, membre no R416007), directeur des politiques de l’Association Canadienne des Conseillers Professionnels en Immigration (ACCPI), et directeur d'immigration pour le Cirque du Soleil.

Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (regulatory body), Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants.

M.A. Journalism (1992) UWO London, Ontario; B.A. Political Science (1982) Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec; RCIC -- Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant.

©2017 All rights reserved.