Canada - Government Information/Studying whilst partner visa is processing

Dear Steve,

My partner and i have just returned from living in Australia where she was studying at university. she is now on a working holiday visa in canada and are in the processes of filing our spousal sponsorship application. during the processing time, which can be quite a while, is it possible for her to resume studies at a canadian university? if so would it be at the cost of international student fees?

Thank you

Hi Alex

In general, a temporary resident on a work permit requires a study permit in order to attend university in Canada, although there are some exceptions for certain programs.

With respect to the tuition fees, you would need to contact the university, as this is not an immigration law issue.

Steven Tress, Barrister and Solicitor, 425 University Avenue, Suite 500, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1T6, Canada, tel: 416-977-3657, email:

Canada - Government Information

Steven Tress

Canadian Lawyer since 1988 in the areas of Criminal Law and Immigration Law. Email: Steven Tress, 425 University Avenue, Suite 601, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1T6.

I graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1986 and was called to the bar in Ontario in 1988. With over 25 years experience, I represent clients charged with all types of criminal offences and conduct trials in all levels of courts, as well as conviction and/or sentence appeals. I also represent clients at bail hearings, bail reviews and bail pending appeal. I represent clients in all types of immigration matters, both inside and outside Canada, as well as appeals from various types of decisions of Citizenship and Immigration Canada or the Canada Border Services Agency to the Federal Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. I am a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada and a member of the Toronto Lawyers Association. I have been active with various sections and committees of the Canadian Bar Association (Ontario), including: Criminal Justice Section Executive, Immigration Law Section, Joint Committee on Court Reform, Advisory Committee to the Attorney General of Ontario, Annual Institute Committee and the Continuing Legal Education Committee. I have lectured for various Criminal Law and Immigration Law programs, as well as served as an instructor at Herzing College’s Paralegal Program and the Law Society of Upper Canada’s Bar Admission Course in Toronto.

Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto Lawyers Association.

Presentations and Publications “Immigration Considerations For Family Law Practitioners”: Presentation given to a seminar for The Commons Institute, Toronto, April 13, 2012 “Ethical Considerations in Immigration Practice”: Presentation given to a seminar for The Commons Institute, Toronto, March 8, 2012 Ethical Red Flags in Immigration and Refugee Law: Panelist, Seminar Presented by the Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, March 7, 2012 “Ethical Dilemmas in Criminal Law and Immigration Law”: Presentation given to a seminar for Professional Development for Practitioners, Toronto, November 26, 2011 “Judicial Review”: Presentation given to a seminar on Applications to the Federal Court, sponsored by the Refugee Lawyers Association, Toronto, February 1995 “Deportation Law – An Overview”: Co-chair and lecturer, a seminar on Deportation Law, presented by the Canadian Bar Association (Ontario), Toronto, October 31, 1992 Contributor to the “Law of Refugee Status”, James C. Hathaway, Butterworths 1991 Contributor to “A Reconsideration of the Underlying Premise of Refugee Law”, James C. Hathaway, Harvard International Law Journal, 31 Harv. Int’l. L. J. 129 (1990) The Advantage of Retaining a Criminal Lawyer, Ezine Articles, September 13, 2011 Key Factors That Make a Successful Criminal Defence Lawyer, Ezine Articles, October 11, 2011 Starting Out As a Criminal Defence Lawyer: Some Advice, Ezine Articles, October 28, 2011 The Advantage of Retaining an Immigration Lawyer, Ezine Articles, September 13, 2011

Graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1986.