You are here:

Canada - Government Information/police clearance certificate for temporary work permit


Dear Deepak Kohli,

I am currently applying for a temporary work permit in the context of the 2013 IEC Working Holiday Program and I have a question regarding the Police Clearance Certificate. I have begun the application process via the CIC website and received a personal checklist with all necessary documents I have to submit. As indicated in that personal checklist, under "Supporting Documents", I am required to produce a Police Certificate. On the CIC website I found the information that a Police Certificate must be produced from every country where I lived for more than six months after the age of 18.

My case: I am applying from Germany as a German citizen. However, I was born in Ukraine and lived there until the age of 22. Now I am 32 years old, I am a German citizen and have been continuously living in Germany since September of 2003. I have already obtained a German Police Certificate.

My problem: Since I no longer possess the citizenship of Ukraine, I am not sure if the Ukrainian authorities will issue a Police Certificate for me that could be used outside of Ukraine. But even if they did, it would involve a major expenditure of time and money to obtain one, since my Ukrainian relatives live far away from the next regional police office.

I wonder if it is really necessary to produce a Ukrainian Police Certificate upon applying for a temporary work permit from within Germany for the purpose of the IEC Working Holiday Program. Would it suffice if I only produced the German Police Certificate, considering that I have been living in Germany for almost the last 10 years?

Thank you very much for answering my question.

Yours sincerely,


Hello Tatjana

Thank you for your question.

Since your personalised checklist asks for this document, you should make all efforts to provide one. If you can't, you may include an explanation of the reasons for not submitting and listing all efforts that you made to obtain one.

Hope this is useful.

Thank you and Kind Regards

Canada - Government Information

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Deepak Kohli


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), practicing in Ontario for last 9 years. As a member in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) since its inception, I am committed to uphold the principles of integrity, knowledge and consumer protection. Our advice is based on sound legal provisions and practices, so that the client receives the best value for money. Our advice and assistance covers issues such as (a) permanent residence in Canada, (b) temporary residence (c) maintaining residency (d) reuniting family (e) Canadian citizenship (f) Immigration appeals, and more. We assist people from across the world in all Canadian Immigration matters (economic programs), including Federal Skilled Worker Program, Business Immigration, Work permits, Study permits, Family Class sponsorships, Appeals to the Immigration Appeals Division of IRB, etc. The intention of participating in this forum is to share my knowledge and views on Canadian immigration matters for general scenarios. The answers however, should not be considered as a legal advice, as that involves detailed information of various aspects of the immigrants' profile. People should contact me directly, should they wish to use to obtain a specific legal advice.


Since 2002, I have been working in the field of Canadian Immigration consulting. Prior to going into own practice in late 2003, I worked for an Immigration Consulting organisation in Toronto. My practice covers various areas of economic and family class immigration into Canada. Like I say to my prospective clients, just as there are thousands of ways to find god, there are a no. (over 50) ways to gain immigration to Canada. The trick is to find out the most suitable one for each client. Nevertheless, there are some programs that are more popular. We advise clients on these as well as find innovative immigration solutions for others. I have been an active volunteer with the Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC), since its inception in 2005. After serving the Ontario Chapter for 5 years in Communications Committee, I joined the National Board in 2010. I served as the Director - Membership on the national Board of Directors of CAPIC for a year. I recently retired from the Board of Directors of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), the regulatory body for Canadian Immigration Consultants, after serving for 1 year.

Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC)

Immigration Practitioner Program (with High Honours) - 2003 - Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA; MBA - 1992 - M.S.University of Baroda, Baroda (India

Awards and Honors
I have received various awards from the Immigration consultancy professional organizations, during my tenure.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]