Canada - Government Information/Temporary visa Canada

Question
Hi there
I was an international student in BC in canada. I took many semesters as part time student as it helped me in better learning process. Once In between I lost my student status and it was restored within 90 days rule. My query is that for some personal reason I came to India during vacations and now when I applied for my re entry visa it was refused. They think I took longer to finish the course and may be my restored status implied to them I am not a bona Fide student. Is there less chances for restored students to get entry visa? What aspects should I cover in my cover letter?"

Answer
Dear Tav,

The fact that you did not renew your study permit in time and had to apply for restoration of status is in and of itself not material to a new application for a re-entry or temporary resident visa. The immigration officer has to look at all factors relevant to your case. Many factors could influence an officer's decision: not studying full-time, taking longer to complete studies than expected, poor academic results, etc.

The only way to know for sure what motivated the officer's decision is to do an Access to Information (ATI) request for a copy of your Global Case Management System (GCMS) re-entry visa file (TRV application). That way you can see what the officer's notes and hopefully identify what the concerns were and then determine whether the decision was properly justified so that you can re-apply and address these concerns directly in a second application.

To make an ATI request, you will need a friend in Canada authorized to act on your behalf or you could ask an accredited immigration consultant or immigration lawyer for assistance.

ACCESS TO INFORMATION ACT PROCEDURE - IMMIGRATION CANADA
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-atip.asp

AUTHORIZATION TO RELEASE INFORMATION TO AN INDIVIDUAL
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5475E.PDF

I hope this helps. If you need any assistance, let me know.

Best wishes,

Tim Morson
Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant
RCIC No R416007
canada@morson.ca

Canada - Government Information

Tim Morson