Canada - Government Information/Crossing the border with a moving truck

My husband and I plan to move to Canada in about a month.  He is a Canadian citizen, I will be filing for Permanent Residency via the spousal sponsorship.  From what I understand, while I am not guaranteed to be able to enter Canada to live with him while my paperwork is processed, it is usually not a problem.  Is this correct?  We plan to drive up together with a moving van to cross the border.  Would crossing the border with the moving truck make it more difficult for me to be granted entrance?  Are there any tips you can give us regarding giving me the best chance of being granted entrance? Many thanks in advance for your response!

Hello Anna;

Thank you for your question.

The CBSA officer at the border makes a decision on each entrant to Canada, based on a number of factors. In my opinion, the most relevant in your situation would be whether the purpose of your visit is credible. If it appears so, you should not have a problem.

At the same time, driving with a moving van for a temporary visit could raise concerns, which you would need to be address satisfactorily before being allowed in.

The most important tip that I can give is - always be truthful and keep your story straight.

I should also add that, your Canadian citizen husband can submit the sponsorship application without being present in Canada, for a regular sponsorship (not In-canada). All this means is, that your application will be processed by an office outside of Canada (US in your case). It doesn't prohibit you from entering Canada during the processing of this application.

Hope this is useful.

Canada - Government Information

Deepak Kohli

I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), practicing in Ontario for last 9 years. As a member in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) since its inception, I am committed to uphold the principles of integrity, knowledge and consumer protection. Our advice is based on sound legal provisions and practices, so that the client receives the best value for money. Our advice and assistance covers issues such as (a) permanent residence in Canada, (b) temporary residence (c) maintaining residency (d) reuniting family (e) Canadian citizenship (f) Immigration appeals, and more. We assist people from across the world in all Canadian Immigration matters (economic programs), including Federal Skilled Worker Program, Business Immigration, Work permits, Study permits, Family Class sponsorships, Appeals to the Immigration Appeals Division of IRB, etc. The intention of participating in this forum is to share my knowledge and views on Canadian immigration matters for general scenarios. The answers however, should not be considered as a legal advice, as that involves detailed information of various aspects of the immigrants' profile. People should contact me directly, should they wish to use to obtain a specific legal advice.

Since 2002, I have been working in the field of Canadian Immigration consulting. Prior to going into own practice in late 2003, I worked for an Immigration Consulting organisation in Toronto. My practice covers various areas of economic and family class immigration into Canada. Like I say to my prospective clients, just as there are thousands of ways to find god, there are a no. (over 50) ways to gain immigration to Canada. The trick is to find out the most suitable one for each client. Nevertheless, there are some programs that are more popular. We advise clients on these as well as find innovative immigration solutions for others. I have been an active volunteer with the Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC), since its inception in 2005. After serving the Ontario Chapter for 5 years in Communications Committee, I joined the National Board in 2010. I served as the Director - Membership on the national Board of Directors of CAPIC for a year. I recently retired from the Board of Directors of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), the regulatory body for Canadian Immigration Consultants, after serving for 1 year.

Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC)

Immigration Practitioner Program (with High Honours) - 2003 - Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA; MBA - 1992 - M.S.University of Baroda, Baroda (India

I have received various awards from the Immigration consultancy professional organizations, during my tenure.