Canada - Government Information/Accompanying Family Member

Question
Dear Mr Morson,

I want to apply for a Canadian study permit and I wonder what to do about the family members form. I am married but my spouse won't accompany me to Canada AT THE MOMENT. (Meaning, I will travel alone and begin my studies in Canada with my spouse staying in my home country). However, I'd like for my spouse to visit me in Canada at one point and, depending our financial situation, to come as my dependent.

So, I am unsure if I should list my spouse as an "accompanying family member" on the form or not. I don't want the immigration officers to think that I want to bring my spouse with me immediately, but at the same time, I don't want my spouse's future application to be weakened by the fact that he's not listed as an accompanying member.

I suppose what I'm trying to ask is what "accompanying family member" means in this context and if saying that a family member is non-accompanying means that your spouse will never be eligible to visit you in Canada or to join you as your dependent.

What is the course of action you'd recommend in my case?

Sincerely,
Ana

Answer
Dear Ana,

There is no risk in indicating that your husband is NOT accompanying you to Canada at this time. Your proposed plan is very sound. He can apply for a visa later, once you are ready. When he is ready to apply for his own visa, he will of course have to demonstrate that he can support himself during his stay in Canada and that he has every incentive to return home after the visit.

You should know as well that spouses of international students may apply for open work permits valid for the duration of the applicant's study permit. That might be of interest to you, but you should be careful to plan it correctly, otherwise the officer could refuse the visa.

Here is more information on work permits for spouses (who can apply at any time):

CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION CANADA - HELP YOUR SPOUSE GET A WORK PERMIT
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp

Contact me directly if you require assistance.

Best wishes,

Tim Morson
Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC No R416007
canada@morson.ca

Canada - Government Information

Tim Morson