You are here:

Canada - Government Information/Student visa dependent - Increasing chances


I got accepted to a doctoral program at a Canadian university (with funding) so I was wondering if there is some advice you can give me when it comes to my spouse's status. I know my spouse is eligible for TRV (based on the requirements listed), but I worry because my spouse is a student (in our country) and thus is not employed. Would this completely ruin my spouse's chances of getting a TRV?

The thing is, both of us have dedicated years to our education;  we couldn't really develop a fulfilling career/steady jobs. Would this completely destroy my spouse's chances of getting a TRV?

Thank you in advance.


I do not think that you have anything to worry about.

Here is the link for Study permits.

You should also sign a IMM5409 see link below.

You should also check if you need a Medical Examination and a Police Clearance certificate.

Some foreign Nationals from certain designated countries require these documents.

I hope this helps. I am going on vacation but you can find all your answers on the CIC web site.

Thank you  

Canada - Government Information

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John A.C. Manning


All Canadian Immigration Questions


I am a Certified Immigration Consultant I have been practicing in this profession for the last 18 years I have been consulted by many private and corporate clients.

I am a full Member of The Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) Membership # 415199

Retirement Today Magazine (UK) 2008

I am a graduate of London University (UK) Business management I passed a Sales Organization Course. McGill University (Canada) I passed a Executive Development Course McGill University (Canada

Past/Present Clients
Novartis Pharma (Canada) AirLiquide (Canada) Air Canada.

©2017 All rights reserved.