You are here:

Canada - Government Information/My return to Canada and application for residency for my husband who is a US citizen


I am a female Canadian citizen age 63. I have been living outside Canada for almost 15 years.  
My three adult children and family reside in Ontario. I have maintained ownership of my home in Ontario the entire time.  I am considering returning to be a permanent resident of Canada once again.
My husband, 67, is a U.S. citizen, and is retired.We have been married for 14 years.
My question is, what is the process for my return to Canada, and what is the best way to apply for permanent residency in Canada for my husband? How long can we expect the process take until his status as a legal resident is granted?

Thank you,

Hello Irene,
As a Canadian Citizen, make sure that you have a current Canadian Passport, to obtain this you need to have your birth certificate and apply on line to Passport Canada, you will never be denied your return to Canada.

As far as your husband is concerned, you should start the process of applying for Family Sponsorships now, there are two. a) Spouse in Canada b) Souse outside of Canada, do this as soon as possible as it will take some time depending on various situations.

You and your husband(as a US citizen)can come to Canada any time and apply from inside Canada.

Alternatively, you as a Canadian Citizen can start the application from out side of Canada, providing that you can assure the visa officer that you have the intention of returning to live permanently in Canada.

If you would like me to assist you further in this matter, you may call me at any time as I work from home, then we can exchange emails.

I hope this helps, thank you, best regards  

Canada - Government Information

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John A.C. Manning


All Canadian Immigration Questions


I am a Certified Immigration Consultant I have been practicing in this profession for the last 18 years I have been consulted by many private and corporate clients.

I am a full Member of The Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) Membership # 415199

Retirement Today Magazine (UK) 2008

I am a graduate of London University (UK) Business management I passed a Sales Organization Course. McGill University (Canada) I passed a Executive Development Course McGill University (Canada

Past/Present Clients
Novartis Pharma (Canada) AirLiquide (Canada) Air Canada.

©2017 All rights reserved.