Canada - Government Information/Entry into Canada w/ a DWAI

My name is Heidi and I am writing on behalf of my husband, Jason, and entry into Canada. My son is a hockey player at the Bantam level and his team has just won the regional Silver Sticks tournament. This allows us to enter into the Silver Sticks tournament in Toronto this coming January. Jason is wanting to attend this tournament, but we are aware that he can be denied entrance due to this charge. It is a lesser charge than a DUI in the U.S. It has been less than 5 years since the completion of his sentance. We can provide documentation and have 3 letters of reference if need be. Because this was an unexpected trip, we need to get passports, but if he will not be able to enter the country, we would like to save the money on his passport. Generally, what happens in this case?

Dear Heidi,

Canada has a strict enforcement policy and does not distinguish between DUI and DWIA, both are reasons for inadmissibility to Canada.

However if it has been less than five (5) years, there is a way to overcome a refusal if you have a good reason to enter Canada.

Go on the CIC website and download and file for a Temporary Resident Permit.

Here is the link. Give all of the details as requested and reasons for entry and state that you will leave when the validity of the permit is finished

I hope this helps  

Canada - Government Information

John A.C. Manning

All Canadian Immigration Questions

I am a Certified Immigration Consultant I have been practicing in this profession for the last 18 years I have been consulted by many private and corporate clients.

I am a full Member of The Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) Membership # 415199

Retirement Today Magazine (UK) 2008

I am a graduate of London University (UK) Business management I passed a Sales Organization Course. McGill University (Canada) I passed a Executive Development Course McGill University (Canada

Novartis Pharma (Canada) AirLiquide (Canada) Air Canada.