Canada - Government Information/Entry into Canada w/ a DWAI

Question
Hello,

My name is Heidi and I am writing on behalf of my husband, Jason, and entry into Canada. My son is a hockey player at the Bantam level and his team has just won the regional Silver Sticks tournament. This allows us to enter into the Silver Sticks tournament in Toronto this coming January. Jason is wanting to attend this tournament, but we are aware that he can be denied entrance due to this charge. It is a lesser charge than a DUI in the U.S. It has been less than 5 years since the completion of his sentance. We can provide documentation and have 3 letters of reference if need be. Because this was an unexpected trip, we need to get passports, but if he will not be able to enter the country, we would like to save the money on his passport. Generally, what happens in this case?

Answer
Dear Heidi,

Canada has a strict enforcement policy and does not distinguish between DUI and DWIA, both are reasons for inadmissibility to Canada.

However if it has been less than five (5) years, there is a way to overcome a refusal if you have a good reason to enter Canada.

Go on the CIC website and download and file for a Temporary Resident Permit.

Here is the link. Give all of the details as requested and reasons for entry and state that you will leave when the validity of the permit is finished   

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/permits.asp

I hope this helps  

Canada - Government Information

John A.C. Manning