Canada - Government Information/child birth

hi we are moving to okotoks alberta as my husband has a job, I have just found out that I am pregnant and I am worried as I do not want the pregnancy to complicate our visa. would me being pregnant affect our move/visa in any way? also would I be charged to give birth in Canada? thanks

Hello Vicky,

I am not sure if you are speaking about a Permanent Resident (PR)visa or a Temporary "Work Permit" (WP). The solution is very simple really.

If your doctor allows you to travel and you land in Canada or have your child on the plane and have your child here, your child automatically becomes a Canadian Citizen.

If your baby is born outside of Canada, you will be required to report that fact to the Canadian Visa office who is dealing with your file.

However as a Citizen of the UK and EU your child can enter Canada with you and remain here for 6 months, or until your application to sponsor the child as a PR or be added to your WP (spouse) file.

Which ever way you look at the situation, there is no complication to your move/visa in any way.

With regard to medical charges: In Canada you, as a PR or spouse of a WP holder are covered by our medicare plan after 3 months of waiting, but for pregnancy most provinces will refund any costs relating to pregnancy even before the 3 month waiting period is over.  But please check the Alberta Medical health plan to find our your privileges.

I hope this helps.  

Canada - Government Information

John A.C. Manning

All Canadian Immigration Questions

I am a Certified Immigration Consultant I have been practicing in this profession for the last 18 years I have been consulted by many private and corporate clients.

I am a full Member of The Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) Membership # 415199

Retirement Today Magazine (UK) 2008

I am a graduate of London University (UK) Business management I passed a Sales Organization Course. McGill University (Canada) I passed a Executive Development Course McGill University (Canada

Novartis Pharma (Canada) AirLiquide (Canada) Air Canada.