Canadian Football/Football Legends.

QUESTION: Dear Michael

Cricket and Football are Outdoor Games. In Cricket, normally a cricketer retires at the age of 40 years with few exceptions.

Cricket has three versions viz Test Cricket - 5 Day match, One Day International - 50 Overs match completed on the same day, T-20 match - 20 overs match completed on the same day.

Statistically are there football legends who have played football
over the age of 40 years ?.

If yes, can you give me the names of those football legends ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hi Prashant,

Football is such a hard-hitting sport that it's rare for players to play, sometimes even into their 30s, never mind their 40s. However, there are always exceptions. A few that spring to mind:

1. Lui Passaglia, placekicker/punter for the BC Lions. Played for 25 seasons. Highest scoring player in football history (CFL & NFL).

2. Damon Allen, quarterback for 6 teams. Played for 22 seasons. 2nd highest passing yards in football history (CFL & NFL).

3. Warren Moon, CFL quarterback for Edmonton Eskimos / NFL quarterback for 4 teams. Played for 6 years in CFL / 17 years in NFL. One of only two people in CFL Hall of Fame and NFL Hall of Fame.

QUESTION: Dear Michael

Thank you.

Are there Football legends like Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, David Beckham etc
who have played FIFA International World Cup over the age of 40 years ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Sorry, the football I'm most familiar with is Canadian Football and not Soccer (football). I'm not sure if there are over 40s in soccer or not. The only one that comes to mind is Roger Milla from Cameroon. I believe he was over 40 when he played in the World Cup Finals 15-20 years ago.

Canadian Football

Michael B

I can answer general questions about the CFL and its players. I can help with questions about some of the rules or teams. I don`t have access to detailed stats, but can point you in the direction of some CFL-related web sites.

I'm a long time fan of the CFL. I've been interested in the CFL since the 70's.

I manage the BC Lions Yahoo group.