Canadian Politics/Canadian pope?

Question
Hi
One of the front runners to replace the pope is a Canadian from Quebec province.
Considering the effect a polish pope had on the downfall of communism in Poland, if he is selected, will he affect the Quebec separatist movement?

Answer
Hi Bud,

Thanks for your question.

Predicting the future is never easy, so I don't want to offer a prediction as to whether a Canadian pope would affect the Quebec separatist movement. I will say, though, that Quebec is now a much more secular province than it used to be, and that popes have generally tried to stay away from political issues. Pope John Paul II was a bit of an aberration, as he was also looking out for the safety of his people.

Hope this helped.

Adam

Canadian Politics

Adam McDonald