Canadian Real Estate/Replacement Windows

I live in a 20 yr old Cape Cod Style, two story house. It is constructed wit wood windows and painted pine cladding. I am in the Chester area of Nova Scotia.
My question is this. Some of our wood windows have started to rot in areas. A couple of sills, a couple of bottom rails on the upper sash. All the glass units are starting to blow. The window swells whenever there is rain so that they are just really hard to open. Maintenance is also an ongoing issue for me.
We are considering replacing with vinyl but trying to keep a similar look.
Will we be devaluing the house by not keeping with wood? My opinion is that some people will not like it, and some will prefer it that they will never have to maintain these things again. So you will attract some buyers while perhaps putting off others.
Also, as we will not be selling for perhaps a few years, the move to vinyl will benefit us in comfort, ease of use and lack of maintenance.
Is it an upgrade or a downgrade?

Hello Peter,
Thank you for your question regarding replacement windows. Typically, most buyers would see updated vinyl windows as an upgrade when looking to purchase a home. The only time where I've seen it to be a negative is on a Century home with historic significance. With a 20 year old home this should not be a factor.
Penny MacKenzie

Canadian Real Estate

Penny MacKenzie

General Residential Real Estate, Real Estate Agency, Real Estate Terminology, Real Estate Marketing

Penny MacKenzie is a full time Burlington Real Estate Agent with over 15 years of experience. An active member of the Burlington Business Community Penny is Past President of The Burlington Chamber of Commerce and Past Chair of Tourism Burlington. Penny has also served on the Board of Directors of the Burlington Art Centre Foundation. Penny is also past chair and co-founder of Party In Pink an incredible women only fundraiser for Breast Cancer Support Services. In just four short years this event has raised over $250,000 in support of women who are currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer. As a full time Realtor Penny is experienced in the Burlington and Area real estate market. She has personally handled all types of real estate transactions, however, she is an Experienced Residential Realtor, qualified to help families reach their residential home buying and selling goals.

Hamilton-Burlington Real Estate Board, Oakville-Milton Real Estate Board, Ontario Real Estate Board, Canadian Real Estate Board

Licensed Realtor with Keller Williams Realty the fastest growing Real Estate Company in Canada!