Canadian Real Estate/House renovations

Question
I live in a 3 bedroom split level, 3 bedrooms up and 2 down. I want to renovate the upstairs to expand the master bedroom to include a full ensuite and a walk in closet. To do this I will have to remove the bedroom next to the master suite, this will become the walk in closet and the remainder of the room will become a laundry room. We will end up with a first floor laundry room and full master suite and en suite. My question is going from a 3 bedrooms upstairs (2 down) with a master suite, smallish closet and 1/2 bath to 2 bedrooms upstairs with master suite with walk in, full en suite and upstairs laundry how will this impact the value of my property. The basement is fully developed with bathroom to be installed soon.

Answer
Hi Bill,
Thank you for your question. You would eliminate a number of Buyers from purchasing your home as families with small children won't put them in the basement. If your basement has large windows and you add the bathroom it would be fine for a family with older children, and in fact could be desirable. I don't believe it would significantly impact your values one way or the other, as the adjustment for 2 bedrooms instead of three would be offset by the addition of an en-suite/walk-in and laundry.But it would most definitely reduce your target market.
Penny

Canadian Real Estate

Penny MacKenzie