Canadian Real Estate/Offers

My question is..This house was listed for $419900.I offered to pay the asking price $419900 without any conditions. My offer was declined because someone else paid more than me and i lost the house. The adds did not indicate that it was an auction sale. I did not know i was involved in a bidding war.Is it a game the realtors are playing to rip-off people? Isn't this kind of transaction against the law?
It looks like bait and switch and very misleading.Why advertize a price then?

Please advise.

Hi Gary,
Thank you for your question. The rules around multiple offers can vary from province to province. The Realtor that you were working with is the person to explain the situation.

In Ontario, where I work, the number of offers are to be disclosed to all buyers. It doesn't have to be an auction sale - it's just multiple offers (aka bidding war). Multiple offers are not illegal - they happen fairly frequently. When they do happen it can be frustrating for the buyer but the seller is happy with the results.

Canadian Real Estate

Penny MacKenzie

General Residential Real Estate, Real Estate Agency, Real Estate Terminology, Real Estate Marketing

Penny MacKenzie is a full time Burlington Real Estate Agent with over 15 years of experience. An active member of the Burlington Business Community Penny is Past President of The Burlington Chamber of Commerce and Past Chair of Tourism Burlington. Penny has also served on the Board of Directors of the Burlington Art Centre Foundation. Penny is also past chair and co-founder of Party In Pink an incredible women only fundraiser for Breast Cancer Support Services. In just four short years this event has raised over $250,000 in support of women who are currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer. As a full time Realtor Penny is experienced in the Burlington and Area real estate market. She has personally handled all types of real estate transactions, however, she is an Experienced Residential Realtor, qualified to help families reach their residential home buying and selling goals.

Hamilton-Burlington Real Estate Board, Oakville-Milton Real Estate Board, Ontario Real Estate Board, Canadian Real Estate Board

Licensed Realtor with Keller Williams Realty the fastest growing Real Estate Company in Canada!