Canadian Stocks/Old penny stocks status

Question
QUESTION: Hi Steven,
I feel like I was scammed into buying penny stocks in 1995 from Price Warner when I saw the stock value plummet within months.  I now sit with 500 shares of Stockguard Corp and 2000 shares of Maxill Inc.  Is there any value to these shares today?  I'm sure this is a frequent question.  Hope you can help! Thanks

ANSWER: Steve, from the information I have available:

Stockguard has no current value. It was suspended, delisted and finally cease-traded in 1998. Those cease-trade orders remain in effect.

Maxill was delisted in 2003, but stayed around and continued its regulatory filing obligations. They continued to operate as a distributor of dental products until they were taken private last May for 8 cents per share. I believe Maxill acted as their own agent for the acquisition of the common shares, so you need to contact them directly at:

80 Elm Street
St. Thomas, Ontario
N5R 6C8

The last phone number listed for them is:

519 631-7370

Hopefully they can tell you if you are due any cash for your shares.

QUESTION: Hi Steven,
I finally contacted Maxill and they will buy back the shares I own at a huge loss to me.
Do you know if Stockguard would do the same?  Do you have any contact info for them?
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Answer
Steve, I am very glad you were able to contact Maxill and receive the money you were due for your shares. However, the Maxill situation was very unusual, as they were taken private by another investor and acted as their own agent for the purchase. You were definitely due the money. Stockguard, however, is long gone and there is no buyout, and no money due. Therefore, the shares have no value.

Canadian Stocks

Steven Taylor