Canadian Stocks/Old Stock Info

Question
Hello,

Going through my dad's old stock certificates, I am wondering if you could help me find out if these companies still exist:

Prago Res. & Energy Inc.
Paladin Petroleum Corporation

The stocks were purchased in Canada but I do not know if they were US or Canadian firms.  I think they were Canadian but not sure.  Thanks.

Answer
Charles, from the information I have available:

Prago has no current value. The Company went through numerous name changes and some large reverse splits before becoming Northpoint Corporation. Northpoint's subsidiary became insolvent and the stock was delisted in 1999. The stock was also cease-traded by Ontario, and that cease-trade order remains in effect.

Paladin went through several name changes and acquisitions. It had a 1 for 2 reverse split, then was acquired by Northrock on the basis of .19 Northrock for each 1 old share. Northrock was acquired in 2000 by Unocal for $10.10 cash per share.

The person named on the certificate should have received a check for the full amount in 2000. If not, it would have been turned over to the government for safekeeping in their name until they could claim it. You can search online in many States and Provinces for free at www.missingmoney.com and www.naupa.org. Search using your Dad's name exactly as it appears on the certificate.

Canadian Stocks

Steven Taylor