Canadian Stocks/The Alberta Gas Trunk Line Company Ltd.

In my deceased mothers papers, I have found a receipt from Dawson & Co of Edmonton Alberta for 10 shares of the AGTL co. with 141884 as the share # is this of any value ??? This was dated March 14,1958.  Would appreciate your knowledgable answer and help with this.  Thank you for your time.

Janice, from the information I have available, AGTL became NOVA, which had several name changes before undergoing a complicated transaction where shareholders received 0.52 of a TransCanada share and 0.104 of a new NOVA share for every 1 old share. NOVA later became Nova Chemicals, which was acquired in 2007 for $6 cash per share. Your mother should have received a check for the 1 Nova share at that time. If not, it would have been turned over to the government for safekeeping. You can search many States and Provinces for free at and

TransCanada is still around - the shares trade for about $48 a share. You need to contact the current transfer agent, Computershare ( to determine if your mother is listed as a shareholder. If so, they can help you with the required paperwork to get the old shares reorganized.

Canadian Stocks

Steven Taylor

Canadian stocks, including growth and resource companies.