Canadian Stocks/Old share certificates

Question
We recently cleaned out boxes from my in laws after they passed away we came across some old share certificates in Canadian  Companies Listed below;

Hart River Mines Ltd. (N.P.L.). 2000 shares dated July 6,1972  
Target Mines Ltd. (N.P.L.). 1000 shares dated March 16, 1971
The Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company of Canada Limited 1/20th share dated January 1932.

Do these have any value or can we frame them and put on the walls.

Rod B.B.

Answer
Rod, from the information I have available:

Hart River had numerous name changes and reverse splits (1 for 5, 1 for 3, and 1 for 10) and became Calypso Uranium, which was acquired in 2013. Shareholders received 0.40 of a share of U3O8 Corp for every Calypso share. U3O8 currently trades for about 5 cents per share. You will need to contact the current transfer agent (tmxequitytransferservices.com) to determine the current value.

Unfortunately, I have no information on Target Mines. If there is a transfer agent listed on the certificate, try to contact them first as they will know if the certificate has any current value. You can also try contacting the Province of Incorporation and see what information they have available. Or contact a broker and see if they can perform a detailed search.

Consolidated Mining and Smelting later changed its name to Cominco, which was one of Canada's best known companies. Cominco later merged with Teck and then just Teck. But, since it was a fraction share, it is unlikely that the certificate has any value in the Company as I believe fractional shares were eliminated and paid off years ago. However, the certificate is likely of great interest to collectors and almost certainly has monetary value as both art and as a piece of Canadian history. I think this certificate in particular would be a fantastic piece to frame and keep.

Canadian Stocks

Steven Taylor