Canadian Stocks/Hard Rock Gold Mines

Question
I'm trying to find out the relationship between a company called Hard Rock Gold Mines and Barrick Gold. From what little information I am able to find, it appears that Hard Rock may have been either a predecessor company to Lac Minerals or was taken over by Lac which was ultimately taken over by Barrick.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Answer
Michael, from the information I have available, you can trace Hard Rock into LAC. In the 1960's, Hard Rock merged into MacLeod Moesher on the basis of 1 MacLeod share for every 10 shares of Hard Rock. Shortly thereafter, MacLeod was acquired by Lake Shore on the basis of 1 Lake Shore share for every 4 MacLeod shares. In the 1980's, Lake Shore merged with several other companies and formed LAC Minerals. Lake Shore shareholders received 2.871 LAC shares for each share of Lake Shore they owned. Lac was acquired by Barrick in 1994 for either $5 cash plus 0.325 of a Barrick share OR 0.487 of a Barrick share. Those shareholders that did not tender their shares automatically received all shares.  

Canadian Stocks

Steven Taylor