Canadian Stocks/old shares certicates

Found cleaning up my Mom and Dad's house. I dicovered many old stock certificates in my Dad's safe.Ideas if they have value or are collecter items now
Westar Group
East Sullivan mines limited
British columbia power corporation limited
Sun publishing company limited

Cory, from the information I have available:

Westar was acquired in 1997 for $70 a share cash. Shareholders were not required to submit the certificates for cancellation. Checks were sent to registered shareholders at that time. If the address of the shareholder was lost and not known at the time, the money would have been turned over to the government for safekeeping. You can search many State and Provincial missing property offices for free at and Search using the name exactly as it appears on the certificate.

East Sullivan became Sullivan Mines Inc., which was acquired by Cambior in 1987 for $7.50 cash per share.

British Columbia Power sold its assets to the government of British Columbia and was liquidated. Shareholders received cash distributions between 1963 and 1969 of about $34 cash per share.

Sun Publishing was acquired in 1978. Shareholders received $69 cash per share.

Even if the cash was paid to your parents at the time, which is very likely, I highly recommend you search the missing property offices of every State or Province in which they lived from the time they acquired the first shares. The shares might also have some value as collector's items.  

Canadian Stocks

Steven Taylor

Canadian stocks, including growth and resource companies.