Canadian Stocks/retirement savings plan with Eastern & Chartered Trust Company

Question
My friend has a United Retirement Savings Plan with Eastern & Chartered Trust Company , the plan No. R-1-457 started in October of 1964. He is now inn a nursing home and I am unable to track down what happened to this plan.  Can you help?

Answer
Verda, that is a very good question. Eastern & Chartered had several mergers and became Canada Permanent Trust, which was later acquired by TD. However, there is a very good chance that due to all the corporate reorganizations, the funds would have been turned over to the government for safekeeping.

I suggest you try approaching TD and see if they can provide you with information. I would also search the missing property offices of every Province in which your friend lived from the time they first acquired the Plan to see if there is any money being held for them. You can search many of them online for free at www.missingmoney.com and www.naupa.org.

If neither of those approaches provides the information you need, I suggest you try the Provincial Securities Regulator and see if they can provide some information.

Canadian Stocks

Steven Taylor