Canadian Stocks/Old Stock Certificates

Question
Hello Steven, and thank you for making yourself available to answer questions!  A relative, for whom I was the executor, had a number of certificates in her SDB.  I have found out a little about some of them, but am not sure where to go from here to cash in any that may still be valid:
- Cascadia Brands Inc. (looks like they were purchased in 2005 by Andres Wines Ltd.) - I note in a response to someone else that you indicated that a cheque should have been received for these shares, but no cheque or correspondence was ever received.
- Potters Distilleries (purchased by Highwood Distillers)
- Cal Tech Data (name change from Roraima Gold Corp and then to International Roraima Gold Corp)
- Consolidated General Western Industries Ltd.
- West Bay Investments Ltd.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Answer
Kathy, from the information I have available:

Potters and Cascadia are the same company. Potters went through several name changes before becoming Cascadia in 1995. Because your relative received the new certificate at that time, it shows the transfer agent had their correct address in 1995 at the time of the name change. Cascadia exchanged all common shares for cash in 1998 for $8.00 per share. Unless your relative moved between 1995 and 1998, the check would have been sent to the same address as the Cascadia shares. If not, the money would have been turned over to the government for safekeeping. You need to search every State or Province in which your relative lived from the date they acquired the original certificate until the cash acquisition. You can search many of them online for free at www.missingmoney.com and www.naupa.org. Search using the name exactly as it appears on the certificate.

Cal Tech Data did become Roraima, then International Roraima, which was suspended, delisted and cease-traded in 1999. Those cease-trade orders remain in effect. No current value.

Consolidated General Western had a 1 for 10 reverse split and became Danco. Danco was part of a family of companies that imploded under mismanagement and allegations of stock fraud. The Company was suspended, delisted and cease-traded in 1994. Those cease-trade orders remain in effect.

I have no information on West Bay Investments Ltd. If there is a Province of Incorporation listed on the certificate, I would contact them and see what information they have available.  

Canadian Stocks

Steven Taylor