Canadian Stocks/Old Stocks

Question
QUESTION: My Father passed away last year and I am trying to finish his Income Tax.  We have received a T5008 form listing 3 different stocks that he has lost money on but we have no way of knowing what he paid for them.  
Could you help us
Thank you

ANSWER: Barbara, this is a common and unfortunate situation that a lot of families find themselves in when a loved one passes away. There are really only two sources to try to find that information. The first is the brokerage firm that sold the shares. The difficulty is that it is often hard to find what firm sold what shares, and the purchases may be so old that the brokerage firm, assuming they are still in business, may no longer have that information.

The second source may be the Transfer Agent/Registrar for each Company. They maintain the shareholder records and should show the date the shares were first acquired. If you can provide me the names of the 3 companies in question, I will do my best to provide you with the contact information for the current transfer agent for each company.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for getting back to me.  The 3 stocks are

1. EXPL BREX INC
2. GIBRALTAR SPRINGS CAP
3. ROCKLITE INTL INC

Answer
Barbara, from the information I have available:

Brex was cease-traded in 2000, and has not traded since. The last transfer agent listed was Computershare (www.computershare.com), but since the Company has been functionally defunct for 15 years, they may not have the records you need, but it is worth an inquiry.

Gibraltar Springs was cease-traded in 2006. Their transfer agent at the time was Equity Transfer, which is now TMX Equity Transfer (www.tmxequitytransferservices.com)

Rocklite's agent was also Equity Transfer.

Canadian Stocks

Steven Taylor