Canadian Stocks/Shares worth anything today?

Question
I have a certificate (dated December 1979) for shares in a company called EMPIRE RESOURCE EXPLORATIONS LIMITED.

Just wondering how I go about finding out if these are worth anything now, and if so, how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.

Answer
Kevin, from the information I have available:

Empire had numerous name changes and capital changes. It had a 0.75 for 1 exchange, then a 1 for 4 reverse split, then was acquired on the basis of 0.85 of a new share for 1 old share, then the new company was acquired on the basis of 0.25 of a new share for 1 old share, then the newest company was acquired on the basis of $46.50 cash and 0.7214 of a ConocoPhillips share for each old share. If any shares are left after all the changes, it would be ConocoPhillips, which trades on the NYSE for about $50 per share. You will need to contact the current transfer agent, Computershare. Conoco has that information on their website - http://www.conocophillips.com/investor-relations/shareholder-services/Pages/defa

Canadian Stocks

Steven Taylor