You are here:

Canadian Stocks/Old NBTel Shares


In going through my mother-in-law's financial records, I came across a share certificate for 100 shares of NBTel from 1984.  There seem to be 3 issues here: the share certificate is solely in the name of my late father-in-law (my mother-in-law is his sole beneficiary and executrix); NBTel is now Bell Aliant, and; the transfer agent is Royal Trust, which has since been bought by Royal Bank.

I would like to know what, if any, value is attached to this certificate, and how I would go about having the shares of whatever is the appropriate company now registered in my mother-in-law's name.

Ian, like much of the historic telecommunications assets in Canada, NBTel is now part of BCE as Bell Aliant merged into it recently. In this case, you will have to contact BCE's current transfer agent ( They will be able to tell you if the certificate is valid, as there is a good chance subsequent certificates were issued to your father-in-law without requiring the old NBTel certificate to be submitted. But if it is valid, they can also help you with the transfer from your father-in-law's name to your mother-in-law so the stock can be sold.

Canadian Stocks

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Steven Taylor


Canadian stocks, including growth and resource companies.

©2017 All rights reserved.