Canadian Stocks/Stock Inquiry

Question
Goood Afternoon,

We have come across stocks from our deceased father which were left to us. How would I find out if these stocks are even still valid?:

1. Echo Bay Mines Ltd: 79 shares
2. IU International Corporation: 50 shares
3. Gotaas-Larsen Shipping Corporation: 26 shares
4. IU International Corporation: 29 shares

Thank you
June

Answer
June, from the information I have available:

Echo Bay merged in Kinross in 2002 on the basis of 0.52 of a Kinross share for each Echo Bay share. Kinross later had a 1 for 3 reverse split, and currently trades for about $4 a share. You will need to contact Kinross' current transfer agent (www.computershare.com) to determine if the old shares are valid and, if so, to get them reorganized into the new Kinross shares.

IU was acquired in 1988 for $22.25 cash per share. The registered holder should have received a check at that time, and most likely was not required to remit their old certificates to receive their payment.

Gotass-Larson is now Golar LNG, and is publicly traded on NASDAQ. I suggest you contact them directly for assistance in determining if the old shares have any current value - http://www.golargas.com/  

Canadian Stocks

Steven Taylor