Canadian Stocks/Old Stock Certificates

QUESTION: Do any of the following stock certificates have value ???
Lethbridge Petroleum and Refineries Limited
New British Dominion Oil Company Limited
New Richfield Petroleum limited
Illinois-Alberta Oils Limited
Colonial Oil & Gas Limited
Cadillac Moly Mines Limited

Please advise - Thank you

ANSWER: Jerry, from the information I have available:

I have no information on Lethbridge, as I believe it is very old and predates my information.

New British had several name changes and became Asamera Inc., which was acquired by Gulf Canada in 1988 for 0.6397 of a Gulf share or $11.75 cash per Asamera share. In 2001, Gulf was acquired by Conoco for $12.40 cash per share. If the shares were valid, the registered holder would have received a check at that time. But due to the age of the original certificate, the money might have been turned over to the government for safekeeping waiting to be claimed by the shareholder or their legal heirs. You will need to search each State or Province in which the original holder lived for any money for them. You can search many of them online for free at and

New Richfield had a 1 for 10 reverse split and became Twin Richfield, which ran into serious financial difficulty and was delisted in 1991.

I have no information on Illinois-Alberta or Colonial Oil.

Cadillac Moly was insolvent and was dissolved in the early 1970's. No value.

For the very old shares without information, I suggest you contact a broker and ask them to perform a detailed search for you.

QUESTION: Just for your info:  The Illinois - Alberta shares were dated 1926 that's probably why there is no info. I will chuck them.
Colonial Oil & Gas was dated 1973 incorporated in BC.
Lethbridge petroleum was from 1953 - they might have become UFA C0-Op Oil which later was taken into by Imperial Oil

Thanks for all your help

Thanks Jerry. I thought the Illinois-Alberta was quite old, and since these shares pre-date the Great Depression, the odds of them having any value are slim. But, if you are contacting a broker, you could also ask them to research this certificate just in case. Also, old certificates often have some nominal value to collectors as art, so you might look into that angle rather than just throwing the certificate out.

Canadian Stocks

Steven Taylor

Canadian stocks, including growth and resource companies.