Canine Behavior/chow lab mix

Lab/Chow family memeber wrote at 2009-11-25 19:02:16
I have a 6 y.o. lab/chow mix that was not well socialized when he was a puppy.  When I got him, he was very distrusting of people.  To this day, when someone new comes to my house (and is someone I want the dog to know), I go outside (leave the dog in the house) and walk with the person back into the house; I then have that person give the dog a treat.  Once the person is in the house, the dog settles down quickly and is friendly with the person.  Don't expect the dog to allow a stranger into the house without you making it clear you welcome the person.  He is a great watch dog.

My dog is very happy to just be with me but does not need to be the center of attention.  He also is quite happy to go into the other room by himself.  He is very playful and loves to walk and play in the yard but after about 30 minutes, the chow kicks in and he is tired.  Hope this helps

girly wrote at 2012-06-08 02:11:32
I have a lab/chow mix.  I have had him for 10 years.  He is the best dog.  He is protective of his pack (us), very good with children, and an excellent watch dog.  He is very well trained and still has the heart of a puppy sometimes.  He loves to go camping, although he is a dominant male and barks at every dog.  He is skiddish around other animals.  Hut when he is around them enough he just ignores them.  As he grows older, I am tiring to find another lab/chow mix.  But fair warning, get a good vacuum and brush, when they shed there hair, you could make another dog out of it.

girly

Chrissy wrote at 2015-03-17 03:18:04
I have a chow-lab mix. I love my dog more than anything, and even though he loves me unconditionally, he still has those protective moments with strangers and other animals. He has been socialized very well, just still has the antisocial behavior. It drives me bonkers because my other two dogs love other animals. My other two try so hard to play with him, but no luck. He has no interest. It's almost as if he's a one owner type of a breed, but the best dog ever!!! Love my chow-lab!

sport horse breeder wrote at 2015-08-03 04:50:40
I had a lab chow mix from the time she was 6 weeks old until she passed at 12

She was very submissive and loving but also very protective of the family when

It came to strangers.  She made an excellent guard dog and very loving pet.

I guess she got the best of both breeds!

Margarett Golden wrote at 2016-09-13 21:08:33
I have a chow yellow lab mix and may have some pit in him he was a resue at 2 months old off the streets and then had provo but ok now. He was fine until resently he started growling at me and I am the one that plays ball with him and gives him his puppy mwessages. He some times will growl at my hu7sband but we still ove him any way.

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT