Canine Behavior/Dog falling asleep with blanket in mouth

Steph wrote at 2009-05-18 03:41:24
This is interesting because I have a Jack Russell-beagle Mix who will be 2 in July. She has a similar issue. Goes to her bed and she just keeps the blanket in her mouth almost like a pacifier, but never drags the blanket anywhere. Only when she is in her bed. I have begun to worry lately, but she doesn't socially withdraw herself so i'm hoping its just her puppy stage as you said.

Josie wrote at 2009-09-06 02:26:19
My 2 year old puggle does this as well. He'll either drag his pillow or blanket everywhere. When we go away for the weekend, I make sure to bring his blanket. It calms him down and he gnaws on it until he falls asleep with it still in his mouth.

Justin wrote at 2012-07-28 01:34:34
I have a jack russel and he has a bit of carpet that he ripped out of the bottom of his kennel , he lies in the back yard with it in his mouth , like his sucking on it , he really does seem to like this bit of carpet so I haven't taken it of him as I think it might be a comfort thing for him,  but soon as I walk out the back yard he will want to interact with me and not the bit of carpet !  

west333 wrote at 2015-01-31 22:14:56
My dog has done this all his life.  He is 10 now. and still does it.  But he doesn't attach to one particular blanket. He will pick one he likes but if it is gone, he will pick another if he wants to do it.   It is just so cute.  He is a westie.

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT

IF YOU BELIEVE YOUR DOG IS ILL OR INJURED, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL VETERINARIAN IMMEDIATELY. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM TO ADDRESS URGENT MEDICAL ISSUES. I AM NOT A LICENSED VET AND HAVE NO DIAGNOSTIC SKILLS. ***I have been answering questions on All Experts for over 5 years now. I enjoy being able to offer assistance in this forum. I do need to be clear, though. If you’re looking for free advice about a specific behavior question, you MUST submit your question to me via All Experts. If you bypass All Experts and write to me directly through my website, I will ask you to submit via All Experts. On the flip side, if you’re local to Los Angeles and you wish to speak to me privately about an in person consultation, please go through my website. I appreciate your assistance in keeping my volunteer work on the volunteer site.*** I can answer questions about the following canine behavior issues: obedience, timid/fearful & fear-based aggression, nuisance behaviors, families that are expanding with either new human or new animal members. If you have potty training questions please first read my trio of blogs at If you still have questions after reading the blogs you can post your specific questions here. PLEASE be as specific as possible when asking a question. Give me a detailed example of the situation - dog's behavior, body language, circumstances surrounding the issue, what the consequences are (another dog's response, your response), etc. I can only provide insight if I can get a picture of the whole scenario. If I ask for further details, please provide them. In person I would normally observe for at least 90 minutes to assess the situation and the dynamics before offering tools and suggestions to modify it. In writing it is ever so much more difficult. Thank you for your participation in the process.

I have been professionally modifying behavior and training obedience for 7 years. I have owned dogs my entire life. I have just changed the name of my business. It is no longer Good Dog! Dog Training. The new name is Nutz About Mutz!. If you see previous questions with the Good Dog! website information, that is my response.

I am a Certified Profession Dog Trainer - Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA), #2133301 ; I am a member in good standing with the Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT), #77763 ; I am an AKC certified Canine Good Citizen evaluator (CGC), #71253

Publications ; ; Multiple articles in the local pet magazine Pet Press (found across Southern California)

I have a graduate education in animal behavior and learning. (While I completed my coursework and did the requisite research, I did not defend a dissertation. I am qualified, but not certified and so technically not a doctor. This is commonly referred to as Ph.D.-ABD which means All But Dissertation.) My educational focus was with non-human primates, but my personal interest is with domestic dogs and their relationships with humans and other animals. I continue to educate myself to canine-specific behavior through extensive reading, online interactive workshops, vidoes and attending canine behavior conferences.