Canine Behavior/Clacking teeth behavior normal??

sandy wrote at 2012-12-20 21:35:54
My little white 13 year old dog has been clattering his teeth occasionally, lately and this article was helpful.  I want to add that I had a female spayed cat that used to do this when looking out the window and spotting a bird in the tree.  I can only assume this is what is referred to in the article as Jacobsons' organ.  In any case. the article was informative and helpful.

Lisa wrote at 2013-07-16 20:14:15
I stumbled upon this looking for insight into my 8 month old Airedale's behavior. While I can't speak for the original poster, I can say that in my case it's not a small shiver type chatter, it's a series of rapid deliberate snaps at the air. She isn't lunging forward, posturing, or displaying any other aggressive behavior. It's most commonly (for us) displayed when she's told "no bite!" when getting too riled up and play/puppy biting. It's almost like she is compelled to bite, but knows she's not supposed to bite us. When she play bites (which we have NEVER not discouraged, but can't seem to break her of - the closest we've come is a shot of bitter apple, so now she won't bite if you're holding the bottle, put it down and your fingers are fair game again), she's careful and has never broken skin, shaken, or displayed any apparent intent to do anything but rough-house, but when she snaps at the air it's with full force. It sounds like an alligator snapping its jaws shut. SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!  I imagine it would be terrifying to someone who doesn't spend a lot of time with her or another dog that does this. It's a behavior I'd like to curb less out of a concern for safety and more a concern that people will see her as aggressive.  

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT