Canine Behavior/Introducing Staffordshire pup to his father

My 5year old Staffordshire bull terrier (Tyson) has had pups and I have recently brought a male home to keep (Jr). I have introduced them both throughout the day with Tyson on a lead to see how he reacts. He has been fine and takes little interest, but I've recently let him off his lead to sniff around and interact with Jr closer. But he has been drooling heavily and losing fur more than I've ever saw him do. Jr wants to play but Tyson is not interested. There have been no signs of aggression from either dog but Tyson's behaviour is nothing like I've ever witnessed. Any advice or light shed on this matter would be much appreciated

For some reason his pup is really getting him anxious to a point that he has no clue how to handle himself. It's great that there has been no aggression at this point, so I think the main thing is maintaining a calm(er) setting until we know for sure his dad can handle his pup being around. And the best way to do that is through providing a mutual setting where both parties (the doggies) can be natural and it's a setting that you're comfortable acting as though nothing new and exciting is going on. Per say, the backyard. Remember, though, that even though you don't think you may be showing signs of anxiety, doesn't mean that Tyson can't sense that and the more anxiety he can sense, the more he is going to feel and portray.

I also want to make sure you are feeding separating and walking separately as well as together. This will give Tyson a sense that just some other dog isn't taking his time away and he still knows he has time with you. It also works at playtime/training time for the pup as well.

Let me know how things go.  

Canine Behavior

Melissa Burg, RVT/Behavior Consultant

I have experience with multiple obedience issues, including anxiety, different types of aggression, introductions to a new pet and basic obedience situations, such as housebreaking, excessive leash pulling and excessive barking. There are several approaches to each behavior issue, depending on the animal's environment, as well as the breed, sex and age. I can also help you decide whether the problem sounds medical or behavioral.

I recently graduated with a Veterinary Technician degree with an emphasis in behavior and obedience training. I spent 5 years working in animal shelters where I trained shelter dogs in basic obedience and corrected behavior issues and educated adopting owners how to continue the training at home.

"Pawfect Pets;" a weekly column on canine and feline health and behavior tips.

Associate's Degree in Veterinary Technology from Des Moines Area Community College in Ankeny, Iowa.