Canine Behavior/Siberian Husky Cross Aggression

I have an 18 month old Siberian Husky Alaskan Malamute cross. We have had him since he was eight weeks old and he has been socialized regularly (couple days a week) at a couple of local parks since he was about 12 weeks old. In the last few months he has been showing some aggression towards other dogs at random and seemingly without cause, the last time he was virtually uncontrollable and I had to take him home. Now the important factor here is that my dog has not been fixed, so my question is, we are getting him fixed in a couple of weeks, will this tame ot stop the aggressive behaviour he has been exhibiting? Or am I too late? Is he stuck this way now?

Hi Dani

Thank you for your message. It is likely he would rather just play with you in the park as oppose to other people which often happens. I can definitely recommend fixing him as this will definitely not be helping him. The main thing would be to get hold of a dog expert in your location so you can get help as heaps of time to work with the dog and he is still young at 18 months so should get success. Make sure you use someone that uses positive training and ideally experience with the breed.

Good luck!

Canine Behavior

Simon Goodall

I can answer any questions relating to dog behaviour and dog training. My expertise lies in general dog training but also dog aggression issues or other behavioural issues that may arise.

12 years dog training Owner Dog Guru Dog Training and behaviour company in New Zealand with 26 staff 15,000 dogs trained in past 10 years

International Association of Animal Behaviour Consultants International Association of Canine Professionals

Pet Magazine Fetch Magazine International Association of Canine Professionals Stuff website blog

Bachelor of Science in Zoology and Psychology, Graduated 2002 Completing MBA