Canine Behavior/Blue Heeler Behavior

Question
I just adopted a Blue Heeler rescue puppy. I had never even seen one before but fostered her as for 2 weeks and fell in love with her and just adopted her at 7 months. She is a handfull and to burn off some energy I put her in doggy daycare 3 to 4 days a weeks - which she loves. My question is after doing some research on the breed I'm a little worried about future behavior. As of now she is the sweetest dog, towards all people and animals, if she knows them or not. No agression at all. I just talked to someone who had two and was told that this will change the older she gets and to expect her to become a lot more stand-offish and agressive towards strangers and animals. I know all dogs are different but in general should I expect this change? Is there anything more I can do now to minimize it? She causes no problems in day care and just wants to play. She will kiss anyone to death - stanger or not. Is this really going to change?

Answer
This can be a difficult breed since they are genetically designed to be independent thinkers and herd guarding dogs.  However, that does not mean they become aggressive.  

I suggest you find a positive reinforcement training venue (NO CHOKER COLLARS, no DISCIPLINE, only reward) and enroll her in novice obedience class.  You can then go from there: this breed makes an excellent agility dog and it's fun, too.  Keep her heavily socialized to people, other dogs, other locations: no dog parks.  So long as you are certain she's really doing well at day care, this is fine to continue.  Drop in unexpectedly at random times (more than once) to see where your dog is, what your dog is doing.  People lie, especially when money is involved.  Do not FEAR your dog.  Her temperament seems solid.  Expect a lot of hilarity until even up to age three (in other words, she might drive you a tad nuts once in a while lol).  Keep her brain and cognition developing by teaching her "tricks" and playing "games".  EXCELLENT references are:

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Hand-Teaching-Puppy-Think/dp/1930819285/ref=sr_1_1?ie=

http://www.amazon.com/101-Dog-Tricks-Activities-Challenge/dp/1592533256/ref=sr_1

http://www.amazon.com/Brain-Games-Dogs-Provide-Stimulation/dp/1554074908/ref=pd_

This breed is loyal, this breed may begin to "guard" the house against "strangers" (only if improperly supervised); this breed needs a strong, calm, patient and consistent owner.  Just because a few people have had a bad experience does not mean the breed is to blame.  Some dogs are smarter than their owners lol   ;o)

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.