Canine Behavior/My Dog Eats Socks

Question

I have a 5 month old Cane Corso (Italian mastiff) puppy that loves to eats socks, I mean not just a few she eats more like 10 socks a week. I know many people say to hide the socks, well even if we put them behind a door or in a hamper she will open them just to get the socks. The weird part is that she seems to only like worn and designer socks. Anyways, she passes them fine but occasionally throws some up. This makes me worry because I would hate to have to take her to the vet for surgery. Out of all the people in the household she only eats mine, and I am the person in the house that she is most attached to, I have no idea if the preceding sentence helps at all but I mentioned it just in case. If there is anything I can do to make her stop eating socks, please let me know.

Thanks,

Lauren

Answer
This is NOT a casual companion breed.  This breed requires a confident, fair owner who is experienced and willing to do a great deal of socialization AND exercise (depending on dog's orthopedic evaluation and age) with the dog/puppy/adolescent.  Destructiveness when left alone is COMMON.  It implies the possibility of developing separation anxiety issues, the lack of mental stimulation, a paucity of brain-enhancing training, insufficient socialization if left alone consistently for hours at a time and not taken "out" for exercise and habituation to persons, animals and things not seen from the backyard, etc.

Sock eating is potentially life threatening.  You MUST be certain this dog cannot get to your socks.  This is not an option.  The dog cannot be left at large in the home without supervision at five months of age.  This breed can develop a strong sense of guarding that will prove inappropriate (and possibly worse) as it develops into adulthood.  A young dog such as this should not feel the "need" to "guard" the home; this causes great anxiety and that is what prompts behavior such as you describe.

I suggest you do some research in your breed and find a POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT training venue where you and your dog can interact among other dogs and owners in a manner that enhances your dog's willingness to "work" for reward.  This will increase your social status to the dog and help the dog to feel less anxious.  When left alone, the dog should be confined to a safe and pleasant area indoors with a Buster Cube (a "toy" that dispenses food when rolled around).  I suggest you acquire some information  on how to increase this dog's cognition and willingness to "work" as a "team":
http://www.amazon.com/Brain-Games-Dogs-Provide-Stimulation/dp/1554074908/ref=pd_

You can learn about positive reinforcement training at Dr. Ian Dunbar's site and free online course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wBHZtwY7A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajnqRlltR_Q&feature=related

Should this dog ingest string (from socks) that wraps around her stomach or intestines, by the time you realize she is sick it will not only be EXTREMELY expensive to surgically address but it might cause death, despite veterinary intervention.  You can easily keep a pillow case on a hook in your closet (behind the closed closet door) where you store your soiled socks and so can other family members.  The dog WILL move on to other negative behaviors if bored or anxious when left alone, so be certain to learn as much as you can now, before that happens, in order to avoid it.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.