Canine Behavior/my dog licks my husband insesintly

Question
We adopted Darci almost one year ago. She is about for years old. We believe she is a daschundhound/terrier mix. She has one habit that we wonder about, she licks my husband nonstop given the opportunity. We aren't sure if this a mother instinct or if it is something else. We would also like some ideas on how to stop it or curb it. He is the only person she does this to.

Answer
This is a juvenile appeasement behavior.  The way to change it is to remove oneself immediately: stand up, turn your back, turn back to the dog.  After approximately 10 to 20 trials, the moment the dog begins the behavior say a word you don't usually use (in another language if you must), stand up, turn your back to the dog, turn toward the dog again, ask for a behavior trained with positive reinforcement (sit on command) and heavily reward with praise and attention for about 15 seconds. Dog should, after approximately 30 trials, learn to STOP the licking on cue (the word you have chosen) and then wait for the next cue (sit) for reward.  Dog will then eventually chain (connect) the behaviors: the impulse to lick will slowly (over time) be replaced by an automatic "sit" (no cue needed) and must always be acknowledged with praise and affection for a short interval. To teach a dog using positive reinforcement to sit, see the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1W_3CDVVqo&feature=related

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.