Canine Behavior/Guard dog behaviour.

Question
I was recently at a federal institute where we had to be searched by a dog for drugs, This being the first full day of my period I noticed that when the dog sniffed at my front and back side it kind of snuffed and kept walking.  and at the end of the search I was told that I was not able to go in for my visit due to the fact that the dog did not sit down but it changed its behavior after searching me.  So my question is, is there a link to what had happened to me and to all male dogs, do their behaviors change when a woman is on her period?

Answer
Yes, either bitch or dog may react when you are menstruating.  It is reasonable for them to stop you but you should have been offered the option of personal search (pat down by female agent).  Any change in the behavior of a dog specifically trained has to be suspect.  I have seen these dogs at work.  The handler/dog relationship is unique with each team and the handler must respect the dog's signals, even if subtle, if they are different from the norm.  If this happens again, request a supervisor.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.