Canine Behavior/Shrieking Dog

Question
Our dog developed this shrieking behavior about 3 years ago and it has steadily gotten worse (very similar to the questioner here: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Canine-Behavior-3553/2010/1/Screaming-Dog.htm). You can be 5ft away from here and she will shriek and jump away sideways as if she was kicked. She could be on the one side of the room and react the same way to a pillow that falls off the couch on the opposite side of the room. Her response is to men, women, and children with differentiation. We have taken her to our vet for X-rays and a full work-up with no physical problems being found. She is very healthy and has a good, balanced diet with plenty of outdoor exercise. Our vets suggestion was to work with her on positive behavior and ignore the un-wanted behavior. At this point, it has been 3 years and the behavior is only getting worse, more frequent, and she is becoming reactive more and more stimuli. What else can we do? Is an anti-depressant something that we should look at with regards to helping to enhance the positive behavior approach? We are at such a loss...

Answer
You need a veterinary behaviorist (and quite possibly a veterinary neurologist).  I suggest you find one at one of the following sites or by calling the veterinary college in your geographical area.  This is a professional who can review your dog's veterinary records but has more education and experience in diagnosing cause of aberrant behavior.  The dog might be ill (temporal lobe seizures or other biologic cause) but, if nothing is found, this specialist will know what medication to give her and be able to offer you support in helping the dog.

http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/
http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/

If this is strictly behavioral, it is far too complex to cure or address in a text box.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.