Canine Behavior/Staffy behavioural problems

Question
I have recently (3 weeks) taken in a staffordshire bull terrier from a rescue centre. He is approx. 1 yr old, not castrated, and appears to be in very good health. From information received at the time of adoption he was kept in an outside shed and the owner had no time for him. He is good on the lead, and is not at all a typical staffy, he shows no aggressive traits, and is very playful, almost puppy-like. He likes to be near me all the time and also displays the same affection for my daughter, who looks after him if I have to leave him.
When I first got him, he would not leave my side at all, to the point of him even sleeping with me. This was fine for a week, but I thought it was not a good idea to allow this to continue, so I made arrangements for him to sleep downstairs.
During his first week, in which he slept with me, there were absolutely no problems, but since I have gotten him to sleep downstairs, he has now started to mess and wet in the house.
I take him for an evening walk, around 9pm, to allow him to do his toilet activities, and also I let him outside on to my garden before I go to bed, but he still seems to need the toilet during the early hours.
I feed him in the morning, around 9am, and again at around 5pm, and he also has marrow bones and treats.
His weight is 15.4 kgs and he is well developed.
I think his behaviour is probably due to his exclusion from my bedroom, but how do i correct it?
I live in an open-plan house, with my bedroom connected to downstairs directly by a staircase, and he can actually see me in bed, although I have blocked off the access at the top of the stairs.
He does appear to sleep well, but I can hear him sometimes moving about during the night, and he sometimes disturbs the furniture, with the couch cushions being strewn around.
I need to know just how to correct his night-time "lapses" please, if you are able to give me some advice.

Regards

Paul Moore

Answer
Why did you think it unwise for your dog to sleep in your room?  Was it because you thought there would be some harm done behaviorally, or he would become too attached to you?  If he does not exhibit the poor behavior when he sleeps with you, my inclination would ordinarily be to let him.  If you think he's going to get too attached, there are good protocols you can use to avoid that, which I'm happy to recommend.  

Canine Behavior

Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT