Canine Behavior/Agression

Question
I adopted a german shepherd about 1 years old. It has now been two years since. We have had two very bad experiences one 6 months ago and one a few days ago. When our dog hears another dog yelp or whine she goes into attack mode and gets very aggressive. She wont respond to verbal commands after that you have to quickly grab other dog and separate them. She put two dogs in the vets office. Deep muscle damage and lacerations on both. She was nearly impossible to separate from attacking. Pulling tail, Grabbing back legs, punches and kicks to head and body trowing nothing could get her to let go. She is 75 lbs. I am curious to what causes a yelp to set her into this attack mode and is there anything to get the behavior fixed? I really would like to try and fix the issue so I can feel safe bringing my dog out to play. I don't want this to happen to someone I do not know and have to put her down and get sued. I have been lucky so far the past two years of bringing her to public dog parks... She also growls a lot if she is on a leash but seems fine when you take her off the leash.

Answer
This dog CANNOT be allowed OFF LEASH in the presence of other dogs.  Her "attack" mode seems to be a fight/flight response OR a prey drive response, but I can't see anything from here.  Rehabilitating this behavior certainly CANNOT BE DONE in a text box, IF AT ALL.  The dog IS NOT "safe" to "play" with other dogs.  Not every dog is a candidate for the dog park or doggie play groups.  This response (impossible to diagnose from this distance) presents the possibility that this dog might react in this manner in the presence of a screaming baby or "whining" child.  There is no moral justification for taking that risk.

If you want a diagnosis of cause and any possible remedy (and I say "possible" because it is quite difficult to desensitize a dog with such an aberrant response to a "normal" occurrence with another dog that SHOULD elicit attention, not fear) find a CAAB - certified applied animal behaviorist - NOT a dog trainer.  One can be found at the following sites:

http://certifiedanimalbehaviorist.com/page6.html
http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/caab-directory

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.