Canine Behavior/Blending 2 dogs to live together

My husband and I had separated, when we lived in our home together we had a 2 year old male Pomeranian, Charlie. After I moved out with the dog he bought a male boxer, Peyton, who is now 4 months old. We are trying to work things out but when I bring Charlie over there with me the 2 do not seem to get along. They both feel its "their" home. How do I ease the 2 dogs together? I feel Charlie may be more of the the problem.

Hi Kelli -

When you introduce two dogs you want to do it on neutral territory.  Whether it is a park, on the street, or a neighbor's yard.  If you try to introduce the dogs in a resident dog's space (Peyton since you moved out with Charlie) you are asking for trouble.  Charlie may still even think of your ex's home as his turf and remember the sights/sounds/smells associated with the place.  Please contact a local trainer if you continue to have trouble with the two dogs and familiarize yourself with doggie body language so you can avoid any fights. I have included some links below with helpful tips on integrating dogs in the home.  Best of luck with your pups. - this link has good tips such as a fence meeting (keep in mind you do not want to try a fence meeting if your dog is barrier aggressive or a fence fighter) there are also other links within the article with more information. - dog body language and facial expressions

Canine Behavior

Jennifer Ganser, LMT, ABCDT

For canines I can answer questions related to behavior, obedience training, health and massage therapy (anatomy, health benefits) For equines I can answer questions related to behavior, barn management, health and massage therapy (anatomy, health benefits) I am not a veterinarian and it is not within my scope of practice as a licensed massage therapist or certified dog trainer to diagnose health conditions. Please contact your pet's veterinarian for illness related questions and emergencies.

I am a licensed massage therapist for people, horses, and dogs and a certified dog trainer. I teach group obedience classes as well as private lessons. I also work with horses and help barns establish good management practices.

Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) National Certification Board of Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB)

2009 - graduate of Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy 2010 - certified in canine/feline first aid + CPR by Red Cross 2012 - graduate of Post University equine program 2012 - graduate of Animal Behavior College Obedience program