Canine Behavior/please help

hi please can you answer this question as i cant find anything anywhere how can feed palatability affect a dogs behaviour??? thanks

Hi Naomi -

This is a very interesting question.  I am sure what type of behavior your dog is exhibiting that prompted you to ask this question, but I did find an article that has some information regarding this topic (I will include the link below)  Just like we get over stimulated by too much sugar and caffeine dogs can be affected by their food.  Many of the commercial foods on the market are made of low quality ingredients such as corn, rice, by-products, etc. and pet food companies will add sweeteners like molasses to make the dogs more interested in eating the kibble.  This added sugar can cause hyper-activity in pets.  Poor quality diets can also cause pets to be inactive and lethargic.  Some other non-behavior issues that can be food related include: allergies, obesity, and medical problems.  I have included several links below to help you decide what exactly is a good dog food.  I am not a nutritionist or a veterinarian so you may want to contact your veterinarian or the dog food project (link below) for more information on this matter.  There are tons of articles for you to read all written by a canine nutritionist.  Good-luck with your pup.  

Canine Behavior

Jennifer Ganser, LMT, ABCDT

For canines I can answer questions related to behavior, obedience training, health and massage therapy (anatomy, health benefits) For equines I can answer questions related to behavior, barn management, health and massage therapy (anatomy, health benefits) I am not a veterinarian and it is not within my scope of practice as a licensed massage therapist or certified dog trainer to diagnose health conditions. Please contact your pet's veterinarian for illness related questions and emergencies.

I am a licensed massage therapist for people, horses, and dogs and a certified dog trainer. I teach group obedience classes as well as private lessons. I also work with horses and help barns establish good management practices.

Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) National Certification Board of Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB)

2009 - graduate of Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy 2010 - certified in canine/feline first aid + CPR by Red Cross 2012 - graduate of Post University equine program 2012 - graduate of Animal Behavior College Obedience program