Canine Behavior/Possible separation anxiety?

I have a 5 year old Golden Retriever. Last week we received a threat by a neighbour who would do something 'illegal' to stop his barking. He doesn't bark at night or in the morning. He does bark at times when we are eating dinner inside and he is outside (my parents do not let him stay inside). I think that he might be barking when we are not home and I am scared that he might have separation anxiety, although he doesn't get worked up when we leave, salivate or pace and when we come home, we don't hear him barking. Since the complaint I have changed my routing and have begun walking him in the morning (we walk for an hour) instead of the afternoon and have bought him some toys, such as a Kong. What do you suggest I do?
Recently, another neighbour was building a house and when we came home we would notice bits of wood and nails which had been thrown over the fence by the tradesmen. Now, if we have a tradesman who is using a saw for example in our backyard, he goes crazy. How do I stop this?

Sadly, your parents' decision to leave your dog outdoors is probably contributing to the problem.  Dogs frequently bark out of fear (of noises, strangers, etc.) or just plain boredom or isolation.  If you want to try to train your dog not to bark, there are some video tutorials at the kikopup channel on YouTube.  But, for an individual case, it's best to work with a trainer.  I notice from your spelling of neighbour that you may be in the UK?  If so, ADPT-UK or the Pet Professional Guild have listings of trainers.

Canine Behavior

Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT

I am happy to answer questions about: dog behavior and training, therapy dogs, training disabled dogs, training recently rescued dogs, and managing off leash play groups.

Professionally involved in teaching private and group lessons, and doing behavior consultations. American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dogs, Inc. Tester/Observer. Special interest in pet/elder issues, and in therapy dogs.

Truly Dog Friendly Association of Pet Dog Trainers International Positive Dog Training Association Therapy Dogs, Inc.

Gloucester Times Cape Ann Beacon Ipswich Chronicle Beverly Citizen Salem News

Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, Cum Laude. Diploma in Dog Obedience Instruction, Graduate of NY School of Dog Grooming, Certified Advanced Pet Care Technician - American Boarding Kennels Assn., Certified Pet First Aid & CPR, American Red Cross

2002 Caregiver Award from the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare, for Pawsitive Connections Program (pet/elder issues)